Ingredients for 8 servings:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup water, at room temperature
Peanut, safflower or vegetable oil, for frying
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix the flour with the salt, baking powder, butter and water on low speed to combine.
2. Increase the speed to medium and continue to mix until the dough is smooth, 2 to 3 minutes more. (You can also mix by hand in a large bowl with a wooden spoon until combined, then knead until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.)
4. Divide the dough into 8 even pieces and roll into balls. (To make small frybreads, cut the 8 pieces in half for 16 even pieces.)
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball to make a ¼-inch-thick round (about 6 inches in diameter). Pierce the dough with a fork all over.
6. Working in batches, fry the dough until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (If the dough browns too much or too quickly, reduce the heat to bring down the temperature of the oil.) Remove the bread from the oil and drain on absorbent paper towels. Serve immediately.